Monday, December 13, 2010

Doors are easy to open

Our scouts came back and let us know the passage ended in an open room with more stone coffins and a lot of noise coming from the lit room.  They saw no creatures.

Our strategy of "Bart charges and we figure out what to do once we're in there," once again was decided upon.  I like this strategy except for the fact it means I'm likely to die if there's ever a dragon or something.  Of course, we're finding kobolds here.  No need to worry about dragons.

The passageway led south and opened up into the west end of a long room.  I prepared to charge with Listillin and Akai-Tori closest to me, then Findel and Idria and our own kobold, Izzy, would bring up the rear.

I charged down the stairs (did I mention the stairs going down into the room) and turned east to see what we'd face... and had a hard time completely understanding everything I saw.  The room was about 50 feet north/south and maybe 60 feet east/west.  There was another sludge pit in the middle of the room with four large stone coffins at each corner of the sludge pit.  On the far east side of the room, there was a set of double doors in the wall and above that wall was a ledge with kobolds on it.  The kobolds had a rope and boulder contraption that was attached to the ceiling above the sludge pit that they were swinging across the room as some sort of game... and when they saw me, some kind of weapon.

As we entered the room, they ceased any merriment they were displaying and the kobolds threw spears and the rock/rope pendulum.  I charged the door, the rogue disappeared into shadows, Listillin attacked from range (I'm not sure what he does, but he does something.  I should watch some time, but it's hard with kobolds hitting me in the face), Findel was also using his bow and Idria was attempting to pick them off from range as well.  However, until we got through the door, they would have a huge advantage.

I charged the door and burst through it!

Well, I charged the door and tried to burst through it.  That thing was solid!  I bruised it pretty hard, however, and proceded to try to break it down while the kobolds above rained spears and goo down on me.  The door was being stubborn and I finally whipped out my trusty sword and started hacking my way through.  I heard a growling noise from the other side and it sounded like something on the other side was starting to try to break its way out.

At that point a large lizard/dog looking thing dropped down beside me bleeding heavily.  Above on the ledge there were some dead kobolds and Akai-Tori.  I had no idea how he got up there, but I took a break from the door (I figured whatever wanted out was going to get to me soon enough) and attacked the drake beside me.  Izzy and Listillin chipped in and we took it down before it did any damage to us.

I went back to work on the door and just as I was breaking through, the drake on the other side broke through as well and latched on to my arm with sharp teeth.  Holy cow, those things bite hard!  Fortunately, my allies had finished off the kobolds and we were quickly able to dispatch the last drake.

We cleaned up the mess and searched the room.  A couple small gems and a small amount of gold were found as well as a lit ten foot wide passage way heading east.

The scouts went out again...

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention... After I tried charging the door and not coming close to opening it, I tried opening it by turning the handle. It was locked. Then I proceeded to try to bash it in with my sword. All in all, I think I spent four rounds either running into, pushing, pulling, or hacking the door.

    I hate doors.

    ReplyDelete