Monday, December 20, 2010

More doors and Listillin almost gets crushed.

Our scouts went out and came back, reporting that the tunnel opened up into a large room with a high ceiling with a small room (sort of a guard tower) in the middle.

They didn't see any enemies, so we had no choice but to venture into the room and find out what traps or hazards were there.  As it turned out, there were many.  As we ventured into the room, we heard a crash from the north.  A giant boulder (underground?  where did this come from?)  came barreling through the north wall just as two kobolds in the middle room stood atop the wall and fired pots of glue at us and some winged drake came screeching and flying towards us from the south.

If it sounds confusing in words, it was even worse being there.  The drake was swooping past us while attacking, never giving me a shot to even hit him.  The kobold slingers were safely hidden in a room behind a stout looking door and I was really dreading trying to break through while they were dumping whatever they wanted on me.  Plus, that gigantic boulder seemed magically propelled and was spinning around the room counterclockwise.

I sprinted into the room, clearing the way for my allies behind me.  The giant stone had rolled north past the inner room and there was a stout looking double door on the south wall.  I ran to that, thinking I'd break through (quickly, this time) and take out the kobolds inside while my party provided cover and attacked the flying drake.  That's when an energy orb came flying at me from further east.  More kobolds!  There was a previously unnoticed stairway on the east side of the room where a kobold wyrmpriest and two fierce looking kobolds with heavy shields had cover and were bombarding us with spells.  I gave up on my plan on bursting through the door, and since I had time while the boulder was temporarily rolling away from me, I ran to the stairs and up them.

I'd surprised them with my speed and managed to climb the stairs and get in melee range of the caster before his guards could get between us.  From behind it sounded like our ranged attackers were struggling with the drake and the slingers.  Listillin had issues with the boulder and barely avoided being smashed and the rogue was throwing shirukens at whatever he could get line of sight on.  I took an energy bolt to the face as I was closing ground and was hoping that the cleric would be nearby as I was going to be surrounded very shortly.

I called on Avandra to keep me healed while I pummeled the wyrmpriest and dodged attacks from the shifty little kobolds.  Listillin finally made it up to my side and was attacking and the slingers were taken down by Izzy.  Findel was now with me and the drow and we got blasted by a frost blast from the kobold and it seemed like it was a breath weapon.  Kobolds breath frost?  That's new and very unfortunate.  He also put out a protective shield over his shielders and they were tough to bring down, but eventually we prevailed with no casualties, but we were forced to use up nearly all of our spells and powers.

There was good news.  Treasure!  The kobold wyrmpriest was using a magical staff, which the Deva claimed for herself.  It also was carrying a silver key as well as a small note describing the location of a secret door in the room, which the key opened.

I'd forgotten about the boulder which almost crushed Listillin.  It eventually rolled to a stop in the corner of the room and we decided to use its storage space as a place for us to rest.  We felt unprepared to face greater danger without refreshing our spells and since there seemed to be only one way into the room (unless the secret door was being used, which it didn't seem it was, it was a cozy and easy to defend corner.

After setting our watch, we rested, meditated, prayed and tried to relax, hoping our journey to determine the cause of the kobold attacks was near its end.

Eight hours later, recovered, we inspected the secret door.  It took some convincing of the group to let me open the door.  It didn't seem trapped, but if there was any great danger behind there, I preferred me to be the one opening the door, as I have the best armor and am more durable than my associates.  I think the rogue and the kobold were afraid I'd get first crack at any treasure.  They still don't trust me and think I'm in this for the gold.  They don't understand my priorities yet.  I understand theirs; the gold is important.  But that's fine, what matters is we put a stop to the kobolds, and whatever is behind this secret door is likely to reveal much.

No comments:

Post a Comment