Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Irontooth

We'd rested up after killing the kobold raiding part outside of the waterfall.  We'd discovered there was a series of caverns underneath the waterfall and before soggily rushing through into who knows what, we sent Izzy in to quietly explore.

It turns out, he found a very large group of kobolds.  He said hi, they attacked.  As seemed to be a habit for me, I rushed in to save him.

The cavern was about 40 x 40.  The waterfall was the west side of the room and to the north east and the south east were big openings with a lot of space through there.  Izzy had stumbled into a fully occupied kobold war party with about 10 kobolds in the room and more milling about.  The alarm had been sent out and they were all attacking.

I charged into the north side of the room targeting as many as I could, trying to drag attention off of Izzy.  Listillin charged into the middle, sword slashing.  Izzy backed up trying to get range, Akai-Tori tried to get position on some and Idria provided some cover for us with bright flashes of light, searing and scattering our enemy.  Findel was doing damage with his bow and prepping his healing spells.

I'd gotten my back to a wall and had challenged 3 or 4 kobolds, but Listillin had moved into the middle and found himself surrounded and in trouble.  He took down one or two, but more filled the ranks, flowing in from the outer caverns.  I couldn't see what happened, but he quickly was dragged down and swarmed under the kobold horde.  I ignored my combatants, battering away any attacks and charged into the middle of the fray, sliding the unconscious Listillin away behind me towards Findel and faced the attackers.  At that point Idria threw down a glowing pillar on top of me, bolstering my strength and burning the kobolds.

Findel healed Listillin, Izzy continued to fire, Idria was blowing up kobolds left and right and we still were outnumbered as more kobolds came in from the sides, including a giant kobold in rust colored plate mail wielding a giant battle axe from the north.  He was swinging in wide strikes, knocking aside any, friend or foe in his path.  I counted on my allies to take care of the smaller ones, including a caster that had made his way into the room as I challenged the new kobold, who grunted "Irontooth smash!" as his axe was blocked by my shield.

Akai-Tori assaulted Irontooth from the back while I defended his strikes.  He seemed to get even stronger as we hurt him more.  I was out of healing spells trying to keep myself alive from his attacks, Findel had used up his resources as well and we still had kobolds all over us.

Eventually, we defeated them all, although a couple of us took serious wounds and were knocked out for at least part of the battle.  Irontooth himself was wearing magical plate mail armor which I claimed after the fight.  We also found a letter to Irontooth from someone named Kalarel talking about opening some rift and how Winterhaven would serve as food for Lord Orcus' minions.

Well, that was interesting!  We had to find this rift and this Kalarel and stop him! 

1 comment:

  1. Re-reading this, I wish I had a bard. Or an editor.

    Fortunately, I don't have an audience, so the only one suffering is me.

    ReplyDelete