Sunday, December 12, 2010

The full party is together and completely organized!

Now that our group was together (we had a healer, hooray!), we were ready to set out deeper into the underground tunnels to either find out who was leading these kobolds or just kill any kobold we found.  There was only one exit from the room, a tunnel to the east that was blocked by a portcullis.  Izzy was able to slip through the narrow openings between the bars and the lever was just down the hall.  He raised it and we once again sent our scouts to find what lay ahead (with the reminder that their job was to scout, not assault).

This time they came back, reporting the passage turned south and opened up into a large, lit room.  They could see a few large stone coffins in the center of the room, but nothing seemed to be moving there, but because of the light they couldn't go any further in without too great of a risk.

We decided on our second plan.  I would run in and hopefully not get killed while everyone followed me in.

I charged.  The coffins were in the middle of the room and there was a large suit of armor standing guard on both sides of the room.  Three kobolds with spears and shileds were on the far east side of the room near a raised section of the floor with what looked to be a small altar on it.  I sprinted at the kobolds as fast as I could (fully loaded down in plate and heavy shield) with the avenger and rogue (I assumed) behind me.  Izzy was firing arrows, the cleric and invoker were readying spells.

This should be no problem, the six of us versus three small kobolds.  That's when I felt the floor slightly give way under my foot and I felt a sting in my left arm.  I looked down and somehow a small dart had found its way past my shield and through a crease in my armor and I felt my steps slowwww....... as the kobolds charged.

I was on the north side of the room, north of all four coffins.  Listillin ran down the middle of the room, between the two rows of coffins and found another pressure plate, releasing another dart.  He avoided it, but found himself surrounded by kobolds with little way to get out of danger.  Akai-Tori ran to the statue and tried to disarm the trap while Izzy continued to barrage the enemy with more arrows and Findel tried to keep Listillin alive under the assault.  Idria was unable to get a good shot off with any of her spells as we were now closely bunched and her accuracy was off.

Eventually I was able to shake off the obviously weak poison that was on the darts and move over to help poor Listillin, who is incredibly accurate with his sword and incredibly under-armored for being surrounded by little critters with spears.  I heroically dove between the kobolds and was able to sweep him out and behind, so he could attack from the back and I now was the center of attention of the little dragon/dog/rat/scaly things.  Unfortunately, my actions caused me to step on another pressure plate, firing another arrow out right as Akai-Tori was disarming it.

My bad.

We eventually defeated the kobolds as we outnumbered them two to one and no matter how many darts there were, we just were tougher than they were.  But it was sketchy for a bit and we learned (at least a little bit) about our tactics as a group.  We searched the room, disarmed all of the other traps (easily spotted once we weren't in combat) and took apart the altar to Tiamat, appropriating the 60 gold pieces left there for ourselves.

There was a passageway leading south in the far southeast corner of the room.  Our scouts were put to work once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment